I have something interesting going on. My gun-nut neighbor has apparently gifted me an NRA membership as a form of harassment, knowing my opinion that average citizens should not be able to own assault weapons. I’m afraid I’m going to get a whole barrage of hateful propaganda and pleas for money in the mail and more as my info gets shared around among the reactionary right-sites.
It affirms, of course, our suspicions that those claiming certain constitutional prerogatives and respect for the law are lying — they are not, as they say, interested only in self-defense and atomizing small game but they are the aggressors and have no respect for the rules and the rights of others. This guy routinely walked his dogs through my place without asking me. No big deal, if you knew me.
He installed a gate on a common driveway without getting permission from the person with whom it is shared and who owns an adjoining lot, a bigger deal but not my battle. There are other petty infractions but I think you get the point. It is Trump on a small scale, a presumptuous, angry guy indulging his cowardly impulses, probably encouraged by the surge in intimidation going on around us but I don’t know.
He’s rich, by the way. He’s a diluted descendant of one of America’s most prominent families. I have a very limited interest in the gun issue and wouldn’t try to outlaw anything because it’s a losing battle. I’ve followed it some because a historian I admire has written (convincingly) about it but the whole country would go Waco if we tried to take away their guns. Trust me on that. They are insane about it.
I would try to reduce the violence by taking better care of everybody, against the grain of Mitch McConnell and the Republican establishment who are, of course, in the middle of the same stream of income as the NRA. I suspect the lie about the “right to bear” begat many others as an example of how well determination and intimidation can work. For those who care, a rational accounting of the gun issue:
Addendum: The latest is that the neighbor has been throwing trash on my property which is pretty pathetic. He even threw an Amazon envelope over the fence with his name on it. Some kind of kitchenware, it indicated.
Oh, well.
I actually don’t know how we are going to survive these people. Remember, my friends, our rights don’t extend to having an opinion on gun issue if you disagree with them …
No comments:
Post a Comment