Saturday, October 8, 2016

Red Wolves

I have had an argument with a young man who grew vegetables on my property this season, in my large garden, to provide produce for subscribers to his CSA.

Last year a young, single-mother friend of mine was in charge of the garden but I knew she was over-extended and I stepped in and planted about a third of the space.

I had an amazing harvest, of tomatoes and peppers, using a method I evolved of planting in hollow concrete blocks and adding compost occasionally to the cavity.

This year I turned the garden over to an idealistic couple, including the young man, in return for a share of the produce, specifically tomatoes and peppers, which I preserve.

I got no return. Their idealism didn't extend to meeting their commitment to me, where there wasn't accountability, and the young man is not only defensive but indignant. 

And he's self-righteous, a little Donald Trump defining his own reality to suit his needs and refusing to admit that he's wrong and take responsibility. But I have witnesses.

It's important to have witnesses, but how did we get to be a society with so many people without consciences, even those on the left and advocates for ethical living?

No comments:

Post a Comment