Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Plant a Tree On Me

Why anyone would want to be buried in anything other than a pine box, I don't know. Let 'em eat me, the critters and microbes, that's what I say, and plant a tree on me, with maybe a wooden cross which will last long enough that they won't accidentally dig me up with an excavator or run a ditch witch through me while I have flesh on the bone.

Then nothing. That seems to me the most honest expression of our existence. We do live on for a while, viscerally, through those who have known us, and then that's it. We are no more, without preservation, and I don't want to be hermetically sealed in anything. Let 'em eat me, I repeat, before I get this notarized for the benefit of my heirs.

1 comment:

  1. Yep a pine box or ecopod for me; plant a tree on me! I saw a documentary called "will for the woods" which let me know there are good options developing in NC for natural burials that also contribute to forest preservation.

    ReplyDelete