Wednesday, July 5, 2023

In Piscine Condition

Something fishy is going on at the Supreme Court and in our schools. Firstly, I will say that I had the college education conservatives dream of. Classics, in a special honors program that had big breadth requirements, including theology, at a Jesuit university. 

Take that, thou Supreme Court conservative justices with Catholic ties, credentials or identifications. And I inwardly roll my eyes at the idea of Women's Studies or Black Studies programs or majors or whatever. But I think it will simply work out. Over time. No big deal.

If it's not a good idea they'll come to that conclusion, the people who do it all the time and for a living, or the programs will just dry up. But it makes conservatives angry. They want to stamp it out, and anything that strikes them as 'liberal,' while they're at it, and immediately. They seem to seethe with the cleansing fires. 

Like old-fashioned Puritans. What the fuck? I have known people of faith. Real people of faith. They don't present like this at all. More calm and relaxed about things. More trusting. Because they are believers. Not just that they believe there is a God they believe IN God. 

So this whole sudden urgent attempt to remake education and crush 'wokism' and burn liberal influence at the stake smells fishy to me. The people of faith I've known aren't much into crushing and such. Maybe reducing their own sinfulness to a minimum, on a good day.

They are somewhat hesitant to crusade and purge, thereby seeming to focus on the sinfulness of others, or to question motives. Maybe it feels a little presumptuous. Reeking of moral superiority. Ungenerous. At a more godly pay grade. But what do I know. 

I'm not really a believer. Anyway, my ear having been tuned and trained by Jesuits I also detect something very fishy at Ye Olde Supreme Court. Like, the ability to rationalize absolutely anything. Any kind of bullying, for example. Not Christian, to my mind, but maybe more broadly 'ad maiorem dei gloriam.'

None of this passes the smell test to me. These are people of fear, not people of faith. Not to be reactive myself but with all the apparent vitriol, urgency, vindictiveness, and the ability to rationalize hateful behaviors, I think they might be working for the other guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment