Sunday, June 24, 2018

Winding Down

I have been deciding to wind down my life a little early, not that I have any plans or desire to die. Neither have I previously had the intention to withdraw from work or any of my other activities but I think I will now, because, why bother? The old pursuits seem pointless. For so many of us there is the awareness that we have been taking too much for granted thinking we lived in a sane, rational, somewhat fair, humane and sustainable democracy.

All of that is gone with the wind and burned to ashes. Not only have we failed to live up to our image of ourselves, it is so extreme it's not possible to believe we were ever the people we thought we were. We have lost our past, present and future, like a romance that ends so badly it discredits what you thought you once had. Even the good memories are tainted. Trump and his supporters have ended the illusion. The American romance is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment