Tuesday, May 3, 2016

What To Do at a Coup

Most mornings I wake up to the innocence of a new day. I can say that I'm living the life I have chosen and, though some things have turned out unexpectedly, I am very fortunate and I feel it. In the moment I am happy. Then, breakfast. Ah, the pleasure of food. 

But, as I head out, my mood changes. Am I in a foreign country or what? Have we been invaded? Tell me, how do you get from where we were, or were assumed to be, to Donald Trump? I've had a sense of dysfunction since Nixon but it was, well, kind of normal.

It didn't challenge everything. Trump challenges everything. Trump isn't operating within an intelligible context he is challenging the whole context. This means that we are witnessing a coup or a crackup or a breakdown. What do you do at a coup? Hors d'oeuvres?

It is too weird for words.

No comments:

Post a Comment