Saturday, January 10, 2015

A Loaf and a Fish, If We're Lucky

I have decided to brand the Obama crowd THE ACHIEVERS. Until they get a clue and ask for my help in making all those important decisions I'll have to work on impressions gleaned from the best available sources, which are crap, the fourth estate having been crushed into pulp by the business interests.

The information available to us is just terrible, but I think the people shaping the policies are, like Obama himself, smart kids whose identities are entirely invested in success within a certain context, which is to say that it's all about them. It's not about us or the country or the world or the planet or rightness.

Look at the cult of efficiency, a good example. The US produces food with incredible efficiency, when viewed myopically, and then throws 40% of it away and people are hungry at the same time. Where I come from this is called crazy. In Washington it evidently passes for success or is at least acceptable.

Obama and his team put points on the board in such a way that it looks good on paper. The end for them is a great report card, graduating with distinction and from an ivy league school, of course. It makes them feel good about themselves. Meanwhile our country is being destroyed and utterly stripped of hope.

For people who need it, anyway. It's probably unfair to say they don't care but you have to hold people responsible even if they're only enablers in the franchise of doom. I'm sick now so I have to go. Every time I get sick, though, I'm reminded of how vulnerable I feel about aging in America.

In the land of plenty of insecurity, I suppose I mean, and I'm in way better shape than most people in my health and finances, but who wants to worry at all. There's no reason whatsoever for people in a country as wealthy as ours to have to worry much. It's a failure, with a big grade of "F," for the policy people.

And it's an inversion of the miracle of the loaves and fishes, reducing plenty to poverty. They manage to depersonalize this as though it goes no further than a graph or spread sheet or some power-point bullshit, but we're talking about hunger and food here. Oh, Bobby Kennedy, may you appear to them.

Plague them in their dreams. May they see the disgrace of hunger and hopelessness in the new America, our sharecropper society, and not get shot before they can fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment